Summertime grill season… but you cannot eat another burger in this heat! That’s when you can whip out this tried and tested Tomato Basil and Herbed Cod recipe, that’ll make everyone cheer. Steam it or bake it, Tomato Basil and Herbed Cod is one of those light, yet nutrient-packed recipes that’s perfect for an impromptu patio dinner with friends.
WINE & TOOLS TO USE
- Casserole dish with lid
- Large mixing bowl
- Large sieve
- 1 lb cod loins
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 15 – 20 cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup capers (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp sweet onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic powder or 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Soak cod loins in bowl of cold water, with lemon juice for 5-7 mins. Drain into sieve, rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the casserole dish, use half of the oil mixture to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and sumac on both sides of the cod. Then place cod in casserole dish.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes (or quarter them) and place in mixing bowl. Leave a few tomatoes whole with stem for a rustic aesthetic.
- Add fresh basil, sweet onion powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, capers (optional) and the remainder of olive oil to tomatoes and gently toss ingredients together.
- Place tomato mixture on top of cod.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins at 375°F.
- Remove cover & broil for 10-12mins or until tomatoes have softened.
- Serve on rice, quinoa or enjoy on its own.