I tested Bettina Campolucci Bordi’s Garden Vegetable Soup recipe (p. 56 in her cookbook Happy Food ).
I love a hearty vegetable soup and this was an easy one. Dare I say too easy? So easy that I thought the flavours were bland. That TikTok meme ‘Where iz de flavour!? Where iz da SPICE?!’ kept running through my head lol.
If you do end up making this, make it in the winter months and I suggest you use frozen fresh veggies because the flavour is preserved.
✰✰ this one is a BYE for me. I got tripped up on the ‘glug of oil’ and put too much in. This instruction was too vague.
Bettina Campolucci Bordi’s Garden Vegetable Soup
- a good glug of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ courgette zucchini, diced
- 1 potato diced
- handful of frozen or fresh peas
- 500 ml (17 oz / 2 cups) water
- handful of chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Super Bread (see page 148) or good-quality shop-bought bread
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the onion, garlic and carrot until the onion is golden and the carrot is tender.
- Add the bay leaf and the rest of the vegetables, except the kale. Add the water and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
- Add seasoning to taste and stir in the chopped kale to wilt. Or add kale to the bottom of the serving bowls and ladle hot soup over it.
- Serve immediately with the chopped herbs scattered on the side and a side of home-made bread or just as it is. This is by far one of my favourite ways of eating as many veggies as possible in one sitting!
Another one-pot meal…I love this soup with dill and chopped parsley, but it is not always to everyone’s liking, so serve the herbs separately for people to scatter over if they like. Bettina Campolucci Bordi – p. 56 of Happy Food cookbook
Did you make this recipe?
Please let us know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @moody.eater on Instagram and hashtag it #moodyeater #moodyeatersclub .